Friday 5 November 2010

Pattern Cutting

This was a pattern cutting practical using patterns from Pattern Magic by Tomoko Nakamichi. Staying in our concept word groups (layering) we were given pattern templates from the book that reflected our concept word.

I worked on the one above using brown paper. As you can see the way that the pattern weaves together is a form of layering. I found working with the brown paper refreshing as it made a change from doing patterns in fabric. However, I did find it a challenge when it came to constructing the pattern on a mannequin as the paper wasn't as flexible as fabric would have been which made it harder to put the darts in. 

This is one made using calico done by other members of my group.


In comparison to the calico, I think the paper gives an interesting shape and structure due to the stiffness of the material.

1 comment:

  1. Tonight I did a google search for " illustrators, pen and ink" and your site came up.

    I love the work you do. I love fashion drawnings.

    My sister, an architect, is a fabulous watercolor artist. She is also into fashion design....

    I shared your blog with her.

    ReplyDelete